What You Need To Know About
Domestic Violence Charges In California
WHAT ARE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE CHARGES?
In California, domestic violence (or “domestic battery”) is defined as any willful and unlawful touching that is harmful or offensive and is committed against the:
- – Defendant’s spouse or former spouse, defendant’s cohabitant or former cohabitant,
- – Defendant’s fiancé(e) or former fiancé(e),
- – Person with whom the defendant has or used to have a dating relationship, or
- – Father or mother of the defendant’s child.
POSSIBLE DEFENSES AGAINST DOMESTIC BATTERY CHARGES
There are a number of defenses that may apply to your case. Here are some of the common ones:
- Wrongful Accusation – You were falsely accused
- Self Defense – If you reasonably believed that physical violence was the only way to protect yourself, or another, from being physically harmed (Note: the force cannot be excessive)
- Accident – The force applied was by accident, meaning you did not act willfully
If you have been charged with domestic battery or other domestic violence crimes, call Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyer Ese Omofoma, to discuss your matter.
We Are Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyers
Ese Omofoma is recognized as a top criminal defense lawyer and received a Clients’ Choice Award in 2015.Voted by clients and attorneys on Avvo.com24/7 Free Case Evaluation: (213) 455-4050
Schedule your free case evaluation today!
Mondays through Sundays
24/7 Free Case Review
555 West 5th Street, 35th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Phone & Email